Did you know?
• The abandoned Louisville and Nashville Railroad Yard was demolished to become the 70-acre site of the first ever World’s Fair in the South.
• True to its name, the World’s Fair Park was home to the 1982 World’s Fair Exhibition
• The theme was “Energy Turns the World”
• The Knoxville Sunsphere was constructed in 1981 for the fair
• The Sunsphere stands 266ft high and 26 stories tall
• The 4th floor offers a 360 view of Knoxville
• Each pane of glass is made of 24-karat gold
• During the opening ceremonies, a band played on the top of the Sunsphere
• President Ronald Reagan opened the fair at the Court of Flags on May 1st 1982. The fair officially closed 5 months later on October 1st 1982.
• Over 11million people from across the world traveled to Knoxville to visit the fair
• The fair hosted 87,659 people on opening day
• The cost of an adult ticket was $9.95 and a children’s ticket was $8.25
• 216 -cubic foot Rubik’s Cube
• Strohaus Restaurant (now known as the Foundry)
• The Tennessee Amphitheater
Copyright © The Public Building Authority of Knox County and Knoxville Tennessee. All Rights Reserved.
Design & Marketing: 42nd Street